I don't really entertain a lot for breakfast - and if I do, I generally go safe with breakfast casseroles or the famous monkey bread recipe Iris gave me a hundred years ago. This morning I decided to try one of the Smitten Kitchen recipes - a very simple embellishment to scrambled eggs.
Because my dad was having a bad morning, I was behind schedule on the cooking and, consequently, felt kind of klutzy in the kitchen. This happens when I'm rushing and don't have time to clean up as I go along. For a rather simple menu, the kitchen wound up looking like a bomb had gone off, with dirty dishes and ingredients scattered on every counter.
I liked the eggs dish, though I'll modify it the next time I make it. The bread with goat cheese and chives tasted great...but I used a small loaf of bread when it would've been better with a bigger french bread that could easily be put in the toaster. Another change I'd make for next time is adding some kind of cheese to the scrambled eggs mixture, just to spice it up a bit.
I also made a peach smoothie - that recipe came from a diabetic site and tasted OK...nothing special. Next time I'd leave out the ice and make it creamier. And I'll add banana because everything tastes better with banana.
For "dessert" I made petits pains au chocolat. Those were super easy and tasted pretty yummy, though I don't imagine they'd be nearly as good if they weren't coming straight from the oven, allowing for the chocolate to be marvelously melted.
It was a bit chilly eating out on the patio but also rather peaceful, listening to the sound of the waterfalls on the pool.
I like your ideas for modifying the egg toast. And adding banana to everything. Well, except maybe not the egg toast. That might end up like Emily Gilmore's smushed banana sandwich.
ReplyDelete