![]() |
| I broke my own resolution not to post meat pictures |
Well, out with the old (recipe) and in with the new. I had to adapt the ingredients and directions somewhat based on a few quirks but, changes aside, these ribs turned out to be falling off the bone good. I'll admit that while I was making the rub I worried, as it seemed each ingredient was a bit "hotter" than the last and I do NOT like spicy foods. The whole time I was patting on that possibly too hot rub, I wondered if Martin or I would even be able to eat the ribs, much less "enjoy" them.
While I followed the exact recipe on the rub, I ended up having to adapt the sauce a bit because there was less honey than I thought in the pantry. Since I was short the proper amount of my sweetening agent, I threw in a bit of brown sugar. The end result was absolutely amazing.
When I initially read the directions, I focused on the oven baked part, failing to see that the ribs are supposed to be finished off by grilling them. Whoops! We bought a grill after moving to Parkville but it has sat in the garage since that day, still waiting to be put into use. I finished my ribs in a cast iron skillet, letting the sauce cook down until it was nice and thick.
These ribs turn out to be falling off the bone tender. When they first came out of the oven, before being sauced up, I tried a piece of one, just to see if the rub would be too spicy for my taste. Oh my! I could've eaten the whole rack just as they were, they were so flavorful. And not a bit too spicy. With the sauce added, you get about the best ribs I've ever tasted. For sure better than store bought, and maybe even better than my long lost recipe.
Easy Oven Baked BBQ Ribs
Ingredients:
2 racks of pork spareribs, roughly 3-4 pounds each
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 tablespoon sea salt
For the BBQ Sauce:
1 (14.5 0z) can tomato sauce
1 cup honey
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
3 gloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup reserved juices
1 tablespoon reserved spice rub
Directions:
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or a baking mat, set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the seasonings. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the rub. It will be used in the BBQ sauce.
Place the ribs on the prepared baking sheet. Put the rub onto the ribs on both sides, then place them meat side down. Place a large piece of foil over top and seal the edges to make a packet. Place in the oven and bake for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or unitl the meat is tender but not completely falling off the bone (some ribs may require up to 3 1/2 hours....mine took 3). Remove 1/2 cup of the juices that have accumulated and set aside.
To make the BBQ sauce: in a small saucepan set over medium heat, combine the tomato sauce, honey, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, reserved 1 tablespoon of the spice rub, and reserved juices. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Heat a grill or place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Cover the ribs with the BBQ sauce and place them on the grill. Cook them until they are charred on both sides, about 5-6 minutes, per side. Serve with additional BBQ sauce.

No comments:
Post a Comment