Sunday, May 20, 2018

Chicken Nuggets


I don't know why Martin loves Chik-fil-a so much but he does and, because it's on his rotation of lunch time places to visit, I end up eating my share of chicken nuggets. In recent months, however, I've reached a point where the mere thought of anything from this restaurant makes me recoil. If it's a Chik-fil-a day I'm happier staying home and finding leftovers to eat.

Which makes you wonder why I'd go to the trouble of making my own chicken nuggets at home. I always have chicken breasts on hand and, for whatever reason, this recipe looked like an easy way to make a quick dinner. Another factor: before she moved, Millie gave me some lard from Kristin's farmstead. I've used it to make cookies but there was still plenty left for frying these nuggets.

I wasn't kidding when I said this is an easy recipe, but notice I didn't write anything about how my kitchen looked while I was coating those nuggets and putting them in their oil bath. We've already established I'm not the neatest cook around - today was another one of those days that more than proved this point. There was flour mixture everywhere from the island granite top to the edges of the plates near the one I grabbed to catch the newly fried nuggets. I think clean-up took longer than the whole cooking process.

Doing a fairly quick fry on these nuggets makes for a nice outer crunch, combined with a very moist chicken bite inside. Even with the cayenne, I felt the flour breading could've had a bit more seasoning, though the dipping sauce added its own spiciness. That dipping sauce was good but...here's the irony: I ate my nuggets thinking they might taste even better with some  Chik-fil-a Polynesian sauce.

Chicken Nuggets

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken cut into bit sized pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon black mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch cayenne, optional (I used the cayenne)
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 eggs
Homemade Ranch Dressing
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dried parsley (could use fresh parsley)
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried chives (or fresh)

Directions:
Cut chicken into bite size pieces and set aside. Whisk together the flour, paprika, mustard, bread crumbs, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne in bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs until smooth. Heat cooking oil in skillet. Dip the chicken pieces in flour mixture, then in beaten eggs and in the flour mixture again. Make sure they are well coated. Cook six to seven minutes, turning if needed. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Makes about 4 servings.

For the dressing: Whisk together all ingredients and refrigerate for 2 - 3 hours. Makes about 1 1/4 cups dressing. This will keep in the refrigerator for several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment