My name is Barbara and I have a problem with Pinterest. There, I've said it! I'm probably working myself toward an eventual Pintervention but, for now, I'll post some of the stuff I'm cooking.
During the first years of my job as music teacher, I cooked the same meal every Monday night. This was my full day of work and, after the unique rigors of setting up a classroom every week and teaching 6 different curriculums, complete with all the manipulatives that had to be lugged up and down stairs, I would come home exhausted. The last thing I wanted to do was spend more time on my feet whipping up detailed menus for the family so spaghetti became my default easy meal. I could have a crockpot sauce ready when I walked in the house and then quickly boil the pasta, cut up some bread, and open a bag of salad. (Yes, I admit it - I used those dreadfully uncreative salad bags. Worse yet, because it was for Martin, I couldn't even experiment with a few of the more tasty kinds, needing instead to stick with either mixed greens or Ceasar. Hey, I did at least chop my own tomatoes or grate fresh parmesan cheese! That has to count for something.)
Brian ate my spaghetti even though he considered it a bit of a personal affront that it should show up on his plate every Monday, without fail. In the latter years of my career, Martin stepped up to the plate to make hamburgers, corn, and frozen french fries in place of the spaghetti. Brian was happier with weekly hamburgers and I was deliriously gleeful at not having to do anything more strenuous than come through the door, fall on the couch in utter exhaustion, and wait for Martin's call to dinner.
So, here we are years beyond weekly spaghetti, though Brian still asks "is it Monday?" every time I decide to make this dish. Tonight, it was Monday - with a Pinterest twist. Instead of the usual french bread I buy, I decided to make a recipe I've seen pinned over and over.
The basic idea for this bread is similar to the caramel praline monkey bread I make for Christmas and other special days. Both are ridiculously easy and both taste pretty darned good. Whether you eat spaghetti once a week or once in a blue moon, this bread will make a great side to your meal.
Garlic Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread
1 can of refrigerated Grands biscuits (not the flaky layers)
1/2 stick of butter
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian Seasoning (I omitted)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Throw the cold stick of butter in a bundt pan and let it melt in the preheating oven.
While the butter melts, cut the Grands biscuits into quarters. In a bowl, toss the biscuit pieces, garlic, Italian Seasoning, and Parmesan cheese together.
Once the butter is melted, add the biscuit mixture, sprinkling with any cheese and garlic that gets let behind in the bowl.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20- 22 minutes until golden brown. Turn out on a dish and enjoy!
It's good you didn't post a picture. Because otherwise my post-Italy diet would be more easily ruined. As it is, I may be able to hold off for a few weeks. . . .
ReplyDeleteI didn't actually get a picture of the bread as I was making it or when it came out of the oven but here's a shot of the leftovers in a baggie!
ReplyDeleteOh, no, now I have to make it! It looks fantastic!
ReplyDeleteMmm, that does look good! Also, grated fresh parmesan can save almost anything.
ReplyDeleteIt makes me both happy and a little sad to hear of family traditions and inside jokes that started after I moved out. Don't you know you're all suppose to stop your lives when I'm not around?