Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cinnamon Swirl Bread


Now that the replacement paddle for my breadmaker has arrived, I decided it was absolutely necessary to find some kind of bread to make. I chose an easy recipe and set about making the bread on Sunday, only to be interrupted by an evening ordination service for three young men I watched grow up. After the very special service was over, I found myself invited to an afterparty at Tina's house. Whoa - I was never cool enough to be invited to any afterparties in high school! Who are we kidding? I didn't even get invited to the parties...much less all the cool stuff happening afterwards.

Long story short - while I partied away at Tina's, my bread rose so far that it then deflated and had to be thrown away. Don't ask.

Tonight I started all over again, knowing I had no where to be this evening. And guess what? When you stick around to see your recipe to completion, it actually turns out good.

I couldn't stand to wait for the cool-down phase so I had my piece fresh out of the oven with no glaze on top. Really, is there anything better than hot bread with just a bit of melted butter slathered on top????? I think not.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

1 cup warm milk (70 to 80 degrees F)
1/4 cup water (70 to 80 degrees F)
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
5 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
FILLING:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
GLAZE:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
4 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions

In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Brush with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cover with foil; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove form pans to wire racks to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; spoon over loaves.

2 comments:

  1. I wish there were a magic portal between your kitchen and mine, so I could steal a slice of this bread / everything you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we get those magic portals connected all the way through New Haven?

    Also, Dad is going to be so mad that you made this while he was away. All the quinoa? Yea, go ahead and do that while he's in Scotland. But this? You're in big trouble!

    ReplyDelete