Last night we had guests for dinner, for the first time since we moved into the new house. It was a great evening in so many ways. For all these weeks of gradually watching our home come together with old belongings unpacked and new furniture coming in week by week, I think my heart has been longing to use the house as I've dreamed since I first saw it - as a place to welcome family and friends. At one point in the evening, I sat laughing with the adults while looking out to the yard and watching the three little C. girls running around in the back yard and playing on the swing...and the world seemed good.
Apparently delivery pizza hasn't been invented yet for Parkville, so I used a "take and bake" place called Papa Murphys, based on a recommendation from my friend Millie. I'm sold on the concept! I was able to choose the crust and toppings I wanted and then go home and bake them when I wanted. The dough is made on the premise, fresh every day. I ordered the obligatory simple cheese pizza for the little girls, added a plain sausage for the picky husband, and then threw in two "gourmet" varieties with all kinds of lovely ingredients. The veggie pie was particularly fabulous, with a white sauce and every kind of delicious topping conceivable. One of my guests ate 4 or 5 slices and declared it the best pizza she'd ever eaten in her life.
With the main dish taken care of so easily, all I had to come up with was salad and dessert. PH (Picky Husband) got his favorite Caesar salad, straight from one of those bags you buy at the grocery store,. but, assuming other people might be game for a little more choice, I decided to try this tomato, corn and avocado salad. It felt like a perfect day to be making such a summery dish as our temperatures shot all the way up to 80. After the very cold to somewhat cold to delightfully cool weather we've experienced since moving here, everything about the weather yesterday seemed to herald the promise of coming summer. As did this yummy salad.
Tomato, Corn, and Avocado Salad
from Rawfoodhomerecipes.com
Ingredients
2 ears of corn, husk and silk removed
1 pound cherry or heirloom tomatoes (I used the grape sized variety and then sliced them in half)
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 cup fresh basil
kosher salt and pepper (I had to use regular salt when I realized the large box of kosher salt I have is apparently back in the condo kitchen.)
Directions
Stand the corn in a large bowl and with a sharp knife carefully slice downward to remove the kernels. Discard the cob. Slice the tomatoes into bite sized pieces and add to the bowl, along with the onion, avocado, basil, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently to combine.
No comments:
Post a Comment