Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Slow Cooker French Dip


If I'm having a day where time in the kitchen is limited, I'll sometimes make bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches for Martin. The ingredients are almost always on hand, they're quick to make, and my hubby loves them. For all that I talk about the many negatives of Martin's picky palate, he can also be very easy to please.

Another sandwich I know he likes is french dip but I don't make those at home. At least, not until this evening. What I actually prepared is more of a cross between roast and traditional french dip sandwich. While the beef was cooking all day, I had an advance audience already buzzing about how delicious the meal smelled and how much they wished they were going to be here for dinner. First it was my housecleaner, wanting to know what was creating those enticing smells. She was joined by two men installing new carpet in my family room. They told me the meal smelled great and then all three of them - housecleaner and carpet layers - discussed the meal some more in spanish. Bilingual rave reviews.

With a good sized portion of meat and just the two of us, there would've been enough to invite all the "hired hands" to share dinner with us. I'm not a lover of french dip but I did think this sandwich had a good, hearty flavor. On a warm summer day when the back part of my house was torn asunder, sticking meat in a crock pot was a quick way to a tasty dinner at the end of the day. Brand new carpet and a husband pleasing meal that took only minutes to prepare. My work is done.


Crock Pot French Dip

Ingredients:
 1 (4 pound) boneless beef roast
 1/2 cup soy sauce
 1 beef bouillon cube
 1 bay leaf
 3 whole black peppercorns
 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
 1 teaspoon dried thyme
 1 teaspoon garlic powder
provolone or mozzarella cheese slice
french bread roll

Directions:
Remove and discard all visible fat from the roast. Place trimmed roast in a slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, bouillon, bay leaf, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder. Pour mixture over roast, and add enough water to cover roast. Cover, and cook on Low heat for 10 to 12 hours, or until meat is very tender.
Remove meat from broth, reserving broth. Shred meat with a fork, and distribute on bread for sandwiches. Place cheese on top. Melt slightly in a microwave. Used reserved broth for dipping.




1 comment:

  1. French dip is one of like 3 non-vegetarian meals I was sad to give up. I used to love getting those at restaurants or at camp in Big Bear. (I'm sure if I went back and had that sandwich at Big Bear now it would be terrible, but at the time I liked it.) One of those weird Dad tastes that somehow got passed on to me - like cheese whiz tacos - even though in general our tastes are so very different.

    ReplyDelete