It's unseasonably warm here in San Diego right now. Along with the miserable heat we also have uncharacteristic humidity and a decided lack of the wind flow that normally keeps cooling breezes blowing. In short, not ideal cooking weather.
I've mentioned before that I think crockpot meals often wind up tasting like a soupy mess. Even so, I'm always game to find recipes that cook all day without heating up the house. This ribs recipe is actually a work in progress, as plans changed yesterday, such that we ended up not eating at home for dinner. Score! I now have tonight's meal completely cooked and just waiting to be quickly heated in the oven.
As I was grilling the ribs with the sauce last night, I decided to do a tiny bit of experimenting. (The only kind of experimenting old cautious, non-creative me will ever engage in!) One portion sized rack of the ribs I left ungrilled. Tonight when I reheat the ribs, I'll douse that one in some of the left-over sauce, cover it well with foil, and bake it until I get the sticky glaze effect. I do also have extra glaze for the other ribs, as they get heated up in the oven.
One thing I already know - while taking the ribs off the grill last night, I did some taste testing and found the meat to be just as tender, tangy, and tasty as promised. Tonight's going to be some good eatin'!
Fall Off The Bone BBQ Ribs
from Six Sisters Stuff
Ingredients: 1 (2-3 lb) rack of ribs (I use pork loin ribs)
3 1/2 cups pineapple juice (reserving 1/4 cup for later)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 (16 oz) bottle BBQ sauce (Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy sauce was recommended so that's what I bought)
Directions: Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray (or use a slow cooker liner to make clean up a breeze!).
Take your slab of ribs (make sure that they are defrosted) and cut into individual slabs (about 2-3 ribs each). Throw the ribs into the slow cooker. Mix the pineapple juice and brown sugar together and pour over the ribs. Put the lid back on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 7-8 hours or LOW for 10-12 hours.
After they are done in the slow cooker, use tongs to gently pull them out (they will literally fall apart when you touch them). Turn the grill on medium heat. While the grill is warming up, mix together the bottle of BBQ sauce and the 1/4 cup of pineapple juice you saved from earlier.
Place the ribs gently on the grill and and brush with BBQ sauce. Turn the ribs twice, slathering with more sauce each time (you can't have enough sauce!); they will take about 10-15 minutes to glaze over (as soon as that sauce starts to turn sticky, you know they are done!).
Serve immediately and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment