This newfound love of white cheese and chips is so intense that I could barely tell you anything else on the menu of the nearby restaurant dishing out all that creamy goodness. And, you know what's most amazing? The waitresses keep refilling your bowl and it's all free of charge. I assume they expect you to order a meal to go along with your free appetizer though I've never had the nerve to test what would happen if you walked into the restaurant, scarfed down the dip, and then took off.
It never occurred to me to try making a homemade version of queso blanco until I was browsing recipes for the Stoops late Christmas celebration and saw the recipe on Pinterest. Say what???? Whip up a batch of that yummy stuff right at home where I could eat all I wanted without even getting out of my pajamas - have I died and gone to heaven?
When you read this recipe and see a caution about how the dip might seem runny until all the cheese gets fully melted, believe it. Even in it's final form, the queso blanco is fairly loose but oh so good.
Cooking for any Stoops is always a bit of a crapshoot as they have different peculiarities in what they'll eat...assuming they eat at all! Happily, everyone got over their initial, "what, someone dared to make/bring a dish that deviates from the (very small) list of accepted foods?" distrust and seemed to enjoy loading tostito bowl shaped chips with the dip.
Queso Blanco Dip
Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Recipe from Pennies On A Platter
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 30 fluid ounces
1 1/4 (1.25) lb block White American Cheese (Land O'Lakes brand preferred), cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup diced green chiles
2 pickled jalapenos, chopped
1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice
2/3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup cold water
pinch of cumin (optional)
Toss all ingredients into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stopping to stir after every minute. The mixture might seem watery during the first few stirs, but should come together as a nice runny dip after all the cheese is melted.
Serve immediately as a dip with tortilla chips or as a sauce over your favorite Mexican dish.
*Recipe Note: White American cheese is found at most deli counters in your local grocery store.
*Reheat Instructions: Store any leftover cheese dip in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until creamy and hot.
** Picture note: Can you tell I forgot to take a "posed" photo of the dip as I was making it?
Queso Blanco Dip
Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Recipe from Pennies On A Platter
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 30 fluid ounces
1 1/4 (1.25) lb block White American Cheese (Land O'Lakes brand preferred), cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup diced green chiles
2 pickled jalapenos, chopped
1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice
2/3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup cold water
pinch of cumin (optional)
Toss all ingredients into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stopping to stir after every minute. The mixture might seem watery during the first few stirs, but should come together as a nice runny dip after all the cheese is melted.
Serve immediately as a dip with tortilla chips or as a sauce over your favorite Mexican dish.
*Recipe Note: White American cheese is found at most deli counters in your local grocery store.
*Reheat Instructions: Store any leftover cheese dip in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until creamy and hot.
** Picture note: Can you tell I forgot to take a "posed" photo of the dip as I was making it?
Mmm queso blanco was the one good thing to be found at tex mex places during college. Mmm.
ReplyDeleteMiguel's actually has the recipe available online for people to make theirs. I wonder if that is the same recipe??? You should have asked me - I have queso blanco recipes......but then again that would have created a series of texts.....OK....so glad you found one on Pinterest. :O) Whoever do you text when you're making recipes that are not from me (which most of yours are not from me?). :O)
ReplyDelete