It's a funny thing when you cook for people for the first time - it makes you hyper-aware of everything you're preparing and how it is likely to be received. This Thanksgiving I had the opportunity to feed my daughter-in-law's parents. I love these two but they do present a challenge in that they don't usually eat American food. And I don't know anything about preparing Asian foods.
I consulted with Joy and decided to go with what I know - a traditional American Thanksgiving meal including turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, and rolls. Pumpkin pie was on the menu for a dessert but, knowing Martin hates anything with a pumpkin flavor, I decided to add something sure to please his palate. Cherry pie would definitely fill this bill but, here's the deal - I'm not so fond of that kind of pie. This recipe was my compromise dessert.
Thanksgiving turned out to be all about plenty of food to eat (including Joanne's gift of the FRESHEST lobster ever), an evening of fun over the Mexican Train domino game, and everyone eating yummy cherry pie squares with ice-cream.
Cherry Pie Squares
Kinda like what might happen if sweet cherry pie and gooey almond coffee cake meet and fall in love—something beautiful results.
Ingredients
1 cup Margarine
1-¾ cup Sugar
4 whole Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla
½ teaspoons Almond Extract
3 cups Flour
1-½ teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoons Salt
1 can (21 Oz. Can) Cherry Pie Filling
Powdered Sugar, To Top The Squares
Preparation Instructions
Cream margarine and add sugar. Beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extract. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth; batter will be thick. Save about one cup of the batter. Spread the remainder in a greased 11 x 15″ jellyroll pan. Spread the cherry pie filling over the batter. Spoon remaining batter in small globs over the pie filling. Bake in a 350ºF oven for 45 minutes, until barely lightly golden. Drizzle powdered sugar frosting over top; indulge!
Looks delicious - did Dad eat his?
ReplyDeleteDefinitely something to make!!
ReplyDelete