I hate to brag (though obviously not enough to refrain from finishing this sentence!) but I was making spinach dip long before it got so popular you can walk in a store and buy it pre-made. I've been tempted to buy the store version for a comparison test but, thus far, haven't caved to that whim. Nothing store bought ever taste as good as home-made - and, in this case, the "real' version is so easy, why would you settle for an imitation????
This dip first made the rounds in my Bunco group way back in the mid 80's and my now tattered recipe card reveals that it was Dawne G. who shared the recipe with me. I probably don't remember this accurately but it sure seemed like every time my friends and I met for Bunco, that dip would show up. Didn't matter who was the hostess, what the theme was, and how much or how little food was being offered - you could count on a hollowed out bread bowl of spinach dip. Matter of fact, it took a very long time for me to figure out that the hawaiian sweet bread bowl wasn't absolutely essential for this recipe to work.
When Emily was in the third grade she had to give a speech that entailed explaining something in a step-by-step logical and easy to follow manner. I still have a vivid image of my little blonde chef standing on a stool, wearing a blue dress, and sporting a white chef hat while she whipped up spinach dip for her classroom.
When you make this dip, there's one important thing to remember - the leek soup has hard pieces. If you try to mix everything at the last minute folks will be breaking their teeth on those little leek rocks. Make the dip ahead of time so the hard bits can have time to soften and so you don't get threatening letters from law firms representing your former friend with the gaping hole where her front tooth used to be.
Spinach Dip
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1 can water chestnuts
1 envelope Knorr's dry leek soup
1 bag frozen chopped spinach (with some pickier crowds I fail to mention the part about spinach being a part of this recipe)
1 Hawaiian sweet loaf loaf
1 container of Hawaiian sweet rolls
Mix all together. Hollow out a Hawaiian sweet bread loaf and fill it with the dip. Cut the hollowed out portion of the loaf into bite size pieces. Cut the rolls into bite-size pieces. (You can probably use other kinds of breads but I think the Hawaiian sweet bread is what makes the dip flavors pop.)
I love that you remember what I was wearing! I have a pretty good memory, but not that good!
ReplyDeleteI bet I had pigtails in my hair though. I was BIG on the pigtails in 3rd grade.