Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cindy's Bacon Bites



I don't know if this recipe has an official name but since Cindy makes them and since they have bacon in them, I'm going with what I wrote.

When I helped Cindy prepare these she made the whole process look pretty effortless. Better yet, she gave them a raving endorsement regarding how they taste and how they are received by others - from her family members (who love and crave them) to the women of her church, who now call her blessed, just based on having eaten a batch of these at a gathering she recently hosted. A "Meet Cindy Jo Morning". Or, more aptly, a "Meet Cindy Jo, Eat Her Delicious Cooking and Fall in Love With Her" morning.

One thing is certain: had I not followed Cindy's directions and spread all that crescent roll dough out on the kitchen counters at Paradise (Isn't that fun to read? The Booths love talking about how they left our church and went to Paradise!) I never would've believed you could slather dough all over your counters and then expect it to come up in anything but a sticky, torn mess. When I made my batch, I was in a mood to be very, very literal so I did it just like Cindy modeled and it worked. And you know what that means - my kitchen is just like Paradise! Next time, I might use a pie mat for my surface just because I think it would stick a bit less and, most certainly, be easier to clean up. Which is not to say the counter version is all that difficult or messy - I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to roll the dough up from the counter. There were a few times when I had to gently prod a section (this would most likely happen at the places where I'd crimped seams together) but, overall, the process of making a bacon roll was quick and easy.

Cindy's Bacon Bites for Paradise

2 pkg cream cheese (soften it)
8 T onions
Some black pepper
1 jar Real Bacon pieces
4 cans of crescent rolls

Mix all ingredients to make the spread. You can use a mixer for this process or do it by hand. Lay out the crescent rolls on a clean, dry counter and crimp them together at the seams and at the edges of one dough piece to the other. The end product will be a large rectangularish field of dough. Don't worry if it doesn't look perfect! You can also use a rolling pin to slightly flatten the dough and roll over those seams.

Spread the mixture over the dough, going all the way to the ends with all that cream cheesy goodness.

Roll the dough from one end to the other. Cut it into approximately 1 inch rolls. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes. Rolls should be browned but not burned.

No comments:

Post a Comment