Sunday, April 22, 2018

Dutch Baby Bites


That's kind of a weird name for a dish, isn't it? Because, really, who would think it was a good idea to eat innocent Dutch babies? I've also heard these (or their bigger version) called German pancakes or even Hootenanny Cakes. So, if you don't want to talk about eating babies, feel free to go for one of the less cannibalistic names.

I mostly made these because they used a pan I bought and don't use often. It's one of those pans that has eight individual and separated rectangles. I think my intention was to make one-portion meat loaves but I only did that once and wasn't much pleased with the result. Since I do love me some dutch baby pancakes, it seemed like a good idea to drag out my forgotten pan and see if it could redeem itself for kitchen use. If you don't have this kind of pan, instructions say that you can also use a cupcake pan and everyone has those, don't they????

In this smaller bite size version of dutch babies,  I figured people could have more freedom to put all kinds of added goodies inside the kind of misshapen pocket that is created when you bake these up in the individual receptacles. It would be easy to set up a whole fun dutch baby breakfast buffet with the bites and a bunch of toppings.

The only cooking note I have is in regard to the melted butter you put in the bottom of the pan - since my pan was non-stick and since I also did a light spray of Pam, I went very light on the butter. My finished bites came out of the pan easily and tasted fine, without swimming in butter.

Dutch Baby Bites
36thavenue.com

This recipe makes 16 of the bites. I halved it and only made 8 - or one pan's worth.

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter
Toppings:
honey, nutella, sliced strawberries, sliced bananas, lemon curd, blueberries, peanut butter....

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium size bowl, using an electric hand mixer (I used my stand mixer), blend eggs, milk, flour, and salt together until it is well mixed.

Pour a small amount of melted butter in a mini bread pan or cupcake pan. Pour 1/3 cup of the mixture into each of the individual spaces.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Place them on top of a cooling rack and top with whatever you like. The two pictured had a blueberry compote on the first and peanut butter, banana slices and drizzled honey on the second.
This is the pan I used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment