![]() |
| This isn't the clearest picture but I thought it was the funniest. |
In the early years of our marriage, I made popovers fairly often because they were something Martin liked. If my mother-in-law could whip up some for her son, well, so could I; even though I'd never even heard of popovers before I got involved with the Stoops family. The Becketts were more of a biscuits and cornbread with meals kind of family. After all, how could you possibly crumble up a popover to mix into a big bowl of pinto beans??? See what I mean?
As often happens, time went on and popovers fell by the wayside. Maybe the kids didn't like them or, more likely, it was easier to make some other kind of bread with dinner. And the kids didn't like them. Even so, I've kept a recipe for Jordan Pond popovers in my Paprika app and, every once in awhile, I get the urge to go back to my old ways and whip up a batch. This week, as I we get ready to travel out of town, I'm in a mood to use up what I have here rather than go out and buy more groceries. This means planning meals around ingredients on hand and, tonight, it meant deciding it was time to make some popovers.
Truth is, the process of making popovers is a little more time consuming than I usually go through for easy weeknight dinners that will be just for Martin and I. What makes the effort worth it is seeing a happy husband. Oh, and watching the mixture rise up so high in those little popover wells is definitely fun.
One thing that struck me as I watched Martin buttering his popover and then slathering jam on the inside, is how much that treatment is just like what I would do with a scone. So, here's my manly man husband who wouldn't dream of stepping inside a tea room and eating all that silly girl food, yet, he absolutely loves his slightly eggier and more hollow scone substitute!
JORDAN POND POPOVERS
From: throughherlookingglass.com
INGREDIENTS:
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sifted all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Speck of baking soda (I have no idea what a speck is but assume it's something smaller than a pinch.)
INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425°.
Sift and measure flour, salt and soda. Set aside.
Beat the eggs at high speed until lemon colored (2-3 minutes).
On slowest speed, very slowly 1/2 cup of the milk. Beat until well mixed.
Add slowly (with mixer going on slow speed) the dry ingredients.
When mixed, stop beating.
Scrape sides of the bowl with a spatula.
Beat at medium speed and slowly add the remaining milk.
Beat 2 minutes.
Place well-greased muffin tin or popover pan into oven to warm up for a minute or two.
Turn mixer to high speed and beat 5-7 minutes.
Batter should be smooth and about the thickness of heavy cream.
Pour batter through a strainer, and into well-greased, preheated muffin tins or popover pan.
Bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven at 425° for the first 15 minutes.
Without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 350° and bake 15 - 20 minutes longer.
Popovers are best served at once, but may be kept in the warm oven for up to five minutes.
Serve immediately with butter and strawberry jam.


No comments:
Post a Comment