Funfetti is a birthday theme in this household, owing to Martin's years of making funfetti cakes for my birthday. Even though there are portions of THREE different birthday cakes still in the house from my big day on Saturday, I took a notion to whip up the donuts. Maybe I've been so conditioned to baking on Mondays that I can't stop myself! Or maybe I'm just that addicted to birthday funfetti.
I'll admit to having some qualms about using those colorful sprinkles in my donut dough. When you buy funfetti cake mixes, the jimmies they provide are always very hard, presumably so they can stand up to being baked. Even so, the blogger pictorial record of funfetti donuts showed a container of sprinkles exactly like the ones I found at Price Chopper, with close-ups clearly featuring beautiful, pristine dough interspersed with cheerful bits of bright colors.
I followed every direction to the letter. Really. So why did my dough wind up muddied into an ugly murky green/grey color as those sprinkles bled into the donut mixture????? Oh, and as long as we're pondering mysteries of the universe, how come when I filled my donut wells to the exact same level shown in one of the many pictures of Blogger Lady's donut making experience, hers came out perfectly shaped while mine oozed over the wells, turning each donut into a rather amorphous blob. A dark, discolored and very unappetizing blob.
Oh, the disappointment! Ironically, from the few tasting bites I took before dumping my donuts in the trash, they were absolutely delicious, assuming you could look beyond their unappealing and fairly unrecognizable as donuts appearance.
So, the challenge is on. I must create a perfect funfetti donut. Right after I figure out how to make churros that don't look like turds.
No comments:
Post a Comment