Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cinnamon Vanilla Crepes with Fresh Peaches and Cream

I am trying to eat a better balanced diet and part of this endeavor includes not scarfing down so many sweets. Let's face it - I'm a sugar addict and would be content to eat my substantial weight in chocolate, and candy bars...or chocolate candy bars. Why can't life be like when I was a kid and ate everything I wanted without gaining too much weight????

I bought some not quite ripe yet peaches a few days ago and have been eagerly feeling them up every day to see if they would be ready for this recipe I found online. Coincidentally, it happened that just after I'd earmarked the peach crepes as a future make it and eat it project, Emily sent me the link for another peach dessert. Good thing I live in Sunny California and can get lots of peaches at the farmer's market,  just down the street. I'm fully expecting to make Emily's recipe tomorrow.

So, here's the deal - since I'm cutting out lots of extraneous sugar sweets, I decided these crepes would be my lunch. I've eaten so many salads in the past few weeks that I figure I deserve to splurge a little and go for a slightly off the sensible eating grid for this one meal.

I'm copying the directions from the website where I found the recipe but I didn't do mine exactly the way it was listed. First of all, the part about putting the crepe ingredients in a blender - I don't currently own that particular appliance. Not since Martin broke the glass bowl component. I've made lots of other crepe batters using a mixer so that's what I did. Maybe these would be even more spectacular if you have a blender but until I replace my broken one, I'll never know that for sure!

I may not own a blender but I do have my very own crepe maker. Obviously, as the recipe states (and demonstrates via great pics if you go to the original site) crepes can be made in a kitchen frying pan, but it sure is a lot more fun to swirl the batter around on a bona fide crepe making appliance. I always feel like donning a beret and speaking french when I'm using mine!


CINNAMON VANILLA CREPES

Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8-10 crepes

Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
(NOTE - I halved the recipe)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C milk

1 C all-purpose flour

1 T oil

2 eggs

1/4 t salt

1 1/2 T sugar

1/2 t cinnamon

1 t vanilla



PEACH FILLING:

6-7 fresh peaches

1-2 T sugar

1/8 t nutmeg

Cool Whip or Whipping Cream  or 
powdered sugar (optional)

Directions:
1 Get out your blender and add 1 1/2 cups milk into it.
2. Add 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 eggs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
3. Blend it all up until it's nice and frothy. You may have to turn off the blender and scrape the sides down with a rubber spatula if the flour sticks to the sides.
4. Heat a medium-sized skillet up over medium high heat. Drizzle 3-4 tablespoons of batter into the bottom of the pan. You don't want to get it too thick. Just enough to cover about half of the pan. Then pick the pan up and tip it on its side to let the batter coat the pan.
5. Let it cook until the bottom is golden brown. Use a fork to turn up the side and then flip it over. Let it get brown on the other side and then transfer it to a plate. Continue cooking the rest of the batter in this manner.
6. Peel and slice your peaches and place them in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
7. Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg over the peaches. Give it all a stir and let it sit for about 10 minutes. The peaches will get nice and juicy for you.
8. Spoon the peaches into the crepes and top with cool whip or freshly whipped cream (if you are super ambitious)!

1 comment:

  1. How on earth did Dad break the blender? I can't imagine he needs a blender to make PB&J or Kraft mac & cheese.

    The crepes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete