
I'm always about maximum homemade type taste for minimum work and the rolls I made for dinner tonight definitely came under that dictate. Yeast rolls in thirty minutes from first mix to oven? My kind of recipe!
When I was done mixing the first batch it hit me that I'd forgotten to add sugar. Not good. I went ahead and added it to the formed dough but the final ball didn't feel or look right. For one thing it was so sticky I could barely form the balls necessary for my rolls. I'd slather butter on my hands, pick up one sticky, stucky blob, barely get it off my hands and into the pan, and then go back for another even more barely formed ball. The instructions called for the rolls to sit for about ten minutes so they could, according to the picture on the cooking blog where I got the recipe, rise a bit and make themselves ready to be baked into a perfect dinner roll. Ummmm....mine didn't get that memo. Instead of puffing up prettily, gravity took hold of my pitiful blobs, causing them to spread out and down. If I'd left them long enough, I probably would've had a fully fused strange pie crust.
I knew nothing good was going to come of that batch so I finally scrapped it entirely and started all over again. Guess what? When you put the correct ingredients into the dough, and in the correct order, you get a mixture that holds itself together and allows you to make the individual rolls with ease.
If we subtract the time for batch one, this really was a thirty minute process and it really did produce a very yeasty and tasty dinner roll.
30 Minute Rolls
(Recipe from homebasedmom.com)
1 C plus 2 Tbsp warm water
1/3 C oil
2 Tbsp yeast
1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
3 1/2 C bread flour (seems to work better but all purpose flour will also work)
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
In your mixer bowl combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Using your dough hook, mix in the salt, egg and flour. Knead with hook until will incorporated and dough is soft and smooth. (Just a few minutes)
Form dough into 12 balls and then place in a greased 9 x 13 pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.
They look fantastic! Do they require instant yeast?
ReplyDelete