Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Taco Soup

Last night was our last meeting of small group for this year - at least until the fall, when we start all over again. I admit to having a small feeling of relief at the idea of no longer having to make sure my house is presentable every Tuesday night and, even more, knowing I can get in my pajamas whenever I want on those nights when I would otherwise have to be dressed for company.

Which is not to say I won't miss the Bible study time, the fellowship with other believers, the sense of community among my friends...and most of all, a ready group of people who will actually eat the foods I make and even say they like what I've cooked up!

Our final session was a potluck meal with a mexican theme. Not that I chose an ethnic food group - the idea came from Dave S. who also promised to bring a bulk of the main dishes. He and Elgie cooked all day, arriving at my house laden with casserole pans filled with enchiladas, refried beans and rice.

Based on the other foods I knew people were bringing, I decided a soup would round out the menu. I wasn't about to go really authentic with something disgusting like menudo but figured a nice taco soup would do the trick. The easy recipe I chose came out looking more like a chili than soup, but it tasted good and was well received by all members of the small group not related to me by marriage.

Honestly, I think one of the secrets to the success of this dish involved the side garnishments I had on hand. Sure a chili-looking bowl of soup is good stuff but how much more fun is it when you can throw in some fritos, grated cheese and sliced avocado? When I looked around the room that's what I saw in people's bowls - a colorful mix of soup to fixins, based on individual tastes.

Martin may have turned up his nose at my soup but he sure lit into the fritos. "I'll have my wife's tasty soup with fritos...hold the soup!"

Taco Soup


Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 cans (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 to 16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 envelope taco seasoning
Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, chopped tomato and corn chips, optional
Directions
In a large saucepan, brown beef and onion; drain. Puree the tomatoes in their liquid; add to pan with tomato sauce, water, beans, corn and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Top each serving with cheese, avocado and tomato, and serve with chips if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).



No comments:

Post a Comment