I have a chicken recipe that is a staple in my home. One of the best compliments I ever received when serving this dish came when my Aunt Els couldn't believe it wasn't the traditional West Virginia fried chicken.
Ahh...fried chicken. The standard Sunday dinner of my childhood. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've sat down to a plate of that fried chicken along with mashed potatoes, green beans, homemade rolls and some kind of wonderful dessert. Even writing these words bring back so many happy memories of times spent with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and close family friends. What a precious legacy of women who could cook and family who were eager to eat all that they made.
There's nothing special about this recipe - though Aunt Els has complained that she can't duplicate my result of crispy covering for the chicken. While I wouldn't label chicken cooked in butter as a health recipe, I do think it comes out less fat laden than the traditional West Virginia deep frying method.
My daughter recently traveled to Europe and brought back some Hungarian paprika. For any of you poor deluded souls who don't already know this fact, hungarian paprika is highly prized among cooks. The wanna-be culinary snob in me absolutely loves being able to add an international flavor to my ever-so-simple standard chicken recipe. Hillbilly meets exotic.
Normal people can buy a cut up chicken and bake the pieces in this easy coating. If you have or are cooking for someone with Stoops Picky Eater Syndrome, you'll have to buy only chicken legs, as that's the only part of the chicken acceptable for human consumption.
FAKE FRIED CHICKEN
1 T. margarine or butter ( you could possibly even use some kind of Pam coating - I've just never cared to try it this way)
2/3 cup bisquick
1- 1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
Melt butter in pan. Mix Bisquick, paprika, salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time. Shake to coat pieces, then place in the pan. Bake 425 for 35 minutes on 1 side. Turn chicken pieces. Bake another 30 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment